[extropy-chat] Aw Nuts! Bush Wins...

Amara Graps amara at amara.com
Wed Nov 3 10:17:43 UTC 2004

I am so disappointed. How could Bush win the popular vote? I don't
understand this; no one I spoke with here understands it either. Also,
I suspect it won't be easy for Americans with nonAmericans in the future.
I heard often in the last years that 'Americans simply made a
mistake',with regards to the Bush administration, and so they cleanly
separated the American people from their government, and expected the
Americans to 'set things right' in this election. Now Americans will be
much more closely aligned with their government in the eyes of many in
the world.

On a more personal note, as a holder of a US and Latvian passport, the
shift in these last years is that I only use my US passport when I
travel to the US, because the "baggage" of the US government is not
something I like to carry in my dealings with people in my everyday
life. I never had a good answer when someone  wants to know where I am
"from" (Hawaii, Wisconsin, California, Colorado, Latvia, Germany, Greece
all fit to some degree, but California the most). Unfortunately my
Italian paperwork lists US as my citizenship, so I'm illegal for the
last year, with an expired permit-of-stay, grouped with Australians,
New Zealanders, Canadians, Japanese, Africans, South Americans.... (the
nonEU world) who are in a quagmire in the collapsed Italian Bossi-Fini
immigration law. Therefore, given the US political situation now, I will
begin to shift my Italian bureaucratic papers to my Latvian citizenship
(even with Italy's new restrictions on the new EU member countries),
since I think that holding a US passport will mostly hurt me now.

Amara

--

Amara Graps, PhD
Istituto di Fisica dello Spazio Interplanetario (IFSI)
Roma, ITALIA     Amara.Graps at ifsi.rm.cnr.it