[extropy-chat] The next steps for individuals (was: Aw Nuts! BushWins...)

natashavita at earthlink.net natashavita at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 4 15:18:48 UTC 2004

From: Amara

Natasha:
>>  What can our organizations, such as Extropy Institute, do to promote
good
>>  relations between ourselves and others throughout the world?  That is a
>>  first step.

"Given the strong individualist personalities here, I think that one can
add to the above: "What can *individuals* do to promote good relations
between ourselves and others throughout the world?""

Yes, that as well, but since I was speaking on behalf of ExI, it seemed
more relevant in that post.

Hal Finney:
>I think that's a great question.  Of course, ExI is not a major player on
>the world stage and can't by itself rehabilitate America's international
>image.

"After Bush is out, then I think that ten or twenty years will be needed
to recover its reputation (America's international image). It will be a
long road."

I don't think so.  I think that what we need now is humility and dignity
and that the Bush administration just might begin to show some of each.
Maybe not, but I'm forecasting here and it would be in his and his
administration's best interest and I think they are so self-centered that
they would even go this far.

As a professional futurist, one of my goals is to be more involved with the
EU.

If we multitrack across the economic, political, social, environmental, and
technological trends, then we can see evidence of an American willingness
to be more understanding of the world.  The damage is done, and I think
most people know that if we are to continue to be a "super" power, we
better get along with everyone, especially in light of the rise in
popularity and economic growth of China/Asia.

>But just by asking it, we are reminded that we are not our country.

"Or rather, we are not our government."

Yes, good point.

I have never considered myself an "American," although I still think that
this country is fantastic, but am very concerned about the religious/moral
movement that is in opposition to gays, abortion, and agnosticism. I
certainly do not identify with any one state of the many states I have
lived in; but if I did, it would be New York first.

Likewise, when people as me where I am from, I say that I am transglobal
(or something like that).

Best,

Natasha