[extropy-chat] re: Rephrase the "Marriage" question...

stencil etcs.ret at verizon.net
Fri Nov 5 15:10:30 UTC 2004

On  Thu, 4 Nov 2004 22:07:36 -0500
in extropy-chat Digest, Vol 14, Issue 11
nsjacobus wrote

> [ ... ]
>  If we (whoever) were to build a society from the bottom up (on the
>moon, in orbit, in the asteroid belt, under the ocean, etc), ie: from
>scratch, what sort of support/allowance, etc should such a society have
>(if any) for "Marriage"?

One possibility is to build into the legal kernel a provision for Registered
Entities composed of aggregates of two or more individuals.  The RE's could
have the fictive person status of today's joint stock corporations.
"Individuals," in time, would include persons with little or no human genetic
material.  Society, through the organ of government, would be able to provide
the RE with such benefits as respect for its possessions, validation of its
contracts, and other guarantees of right that now are awarded to individuals,
sometimes.
Most Registered Entities doubtless would be indistinguishable from today's
marriages and corporations, but extended families ("dynasties"), development
groups, crews, and gangs also could be expected to achieve and bear the rights
and responsibilities of personhood.
Hm.  Sounds like 18th Century Italy.

stencil sends