[extropy-chat] Enlightenment and the election

Greg Burch gregburch at gregburch.net
Sat Nov 6 00:56:01 UTC 2004

I've kept my mouth shut here (but certainly not elsewhere -- on my blog, for instance) since the election.  I've seen that the Europeans and the Americans who voted for Bush need to vent: They're tired and scared.  But I can't go on without registering that things like this article are part of the problem.  It's hysterical nonsense from people who live entirely encased in a cultural bubble that includes zero contact with anyone with whom they disagree.  Frankly, all the preaching about tolerance and diversity from people who live in such bubbles seems ironic at least and outright hypocritical at worst.  How many times have I read and heard in the last few days that people in New York and San Francisco and Seattle and London and Brussels can't understand how America elected Bush?  They can't understand because they have no intercourse with the people who voted for Bush.  Their conception of huge swaths of American culture is a shallow caricature that would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

I'm an atheist.  I'm a libertarian.  I don't suffer from a lack of literacy or even education; I know that humans evolved over a period of billions of years -- imagine that!  I didn't have to vote for Bush because I live in the capital of Red State America, Houston, Texas, so I had the luxury of voting symbolically for the libertarians.  But if I'd lived in Florida or Ohio, I'd have voted for Bush.  My liberty to be irreligious and follow Enlightenment values has not been curtailed and, contrary to what one would think from reading the New York Times, the LA Times, watching all but one of the major American news networks or reading basically all of the press in Europe, my liberty to be irreligious is not in immediate danger.

GB
http://gregburch.net/burchismo.html