[extropy-chat] Extropian Scorecard

Brent Neal brentn at freeshell.org
Sun Nov 7 05:30:31 UTC 2004

 (11/6/04 14:56) Mike Lorrey <mlorrey at yahoo.com> wrote:

>You are extremely optimistic to think that a government is going to be
>that smart and will actually implement such an optimistic solution. No,
>they will find that people will be living to 120 with ease, you will
>have three retired people for every working person. The word 'taxpayer'
>will become synonymous with 'slave' in future society and will be
>looked down on ("I remember when I was a tax payer, worst 40 years of
>my life.")

I think the real issue here is the concept of "young and healthy" folks in their 90's-100's.  We live in a society where geriatric health issues begin cropping up in the late 50's - pushing biological youth out to twice that age would yield an incredible shift in culture. Its not inconceivable that a senescence treatment that kept someone youthful right up until their death would entirely remove the pressure for retirement welfare.  Just a thought.

Brent Neal
Geek of all Trades
http://brentn.freeshell.org

"Specialization is for insects" -- Robert A. Heinlein