[extropy-chat] Creationism in Science Class -- What an opportunity!

Jef Allbright jef at jefallbright.net
Sun Nov 7 18:33:53 UTC 2004

An item in the LA Times today reports the following:

    Creationism in Science Class Angers Educators

    GRANTSBURG, Wis. — The city's school board has revised its science
    curriculum to allow the teaching of creationism, prompting an outcry
    from more than 300 educators who urged that the decision be reversed.

    School board members decided that a state law governing the teaching
    of evolution was too restrictive. The science curriculum "should not
    be totally inclusive of just one scientific theory," said Joni
    Burgin, superintendent of the district of 1,000 students in
    northwest Wisconsin.

As I read this I thought, "Here we go, further erosion of scientific
teaching in our schools. Maybe gaining momentum with the recent
political gains of the religious right."

And then with growing realization, "What an opportunity!"

What an opportunity to stimulate discussion and rational thinking via
comparison in the classroom of evolutionary theory and creationist
thinking! Those of us who are passionate about opportunities for open
discussion of rational thinking and a scientific approach to knowledge
should welcome this whole-heartedly and hope that it continues to spread
widely and long enough to be effective.

Why is this a good thing?

    * Greater awareness naturally tends to greater rationality.
    * Greater awareness among wider populations tends to accelerate the
      process of increasing rationality.

It's natural selection, part of the evolutionary process at question
here. Ironic, isn't it? Let's promote it, and let it grow.

I'm not so naive as to disregard the concern of these teachers and
administrators that this looks like a political step backward in the
contest between science and fundamentalism. But in the bigger picture,
it's a pragmatic plus.

As to the concern expressed by teachers that this will increase
confusion among some of the students, I hope they can see that true
teaching embraces confusion as one of the early steps toward greater
understanding. To withhold potentially confusing information in the
process of education is to shirk one's duty as an educator, and to play
the game of transmitting only the revealed truth of one side or the other.

I'm also aware that many teachers suffer under limitations of time and
resources and feel that this is just one more imposition on their time
by an administration that doesn't understand their needs. But for those
inspired teachers who look beyond their lesson plans and see their
mission as one of planting seeds of knowledge to grow and flourish in
the minds of our children, this is the time to perform a masterful judo
move and direct the oncoming momentum in a very desirable direction.

- Jef
http://www.jefallbright.net/node/view/2921

<http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-creationism7nov07.story>

Creationism in Science Class Angers Educators

GRANTSBURG, Wis. — The city's school board has revised its science
curriculum to allow the teaching of creationism, prompting an outcry
from more than 300 educators who urged that the decision be reversed.

School board members decided that a state law governing the teaching of
evolution was too restrictive. The science curriculum "should not be
totally inclusive of just one scientific theory," said Joni Burgin,
superintendent of the district of 1,000 students in northwest Wisconsin.

Last month, when the board examined its science curriculum, language was
added calling for "various models/theories" of origin to be incorporated.

The decision provoked more than 300 biology and religious studies
faculty members to write a letter last week urging the board to reverse
the policy. It follows a letter from 43 deans at Wisconsin public
universities.

"Insisting that teachers teach alternative theories of origin in biology
classes takes time away from real learning, confuses some students and
is a misuse of limited class time and public funds," said Don Waller, a
botanist at the University of Wisconsin at Madison.

Wisconsin law mandates that evolution be taught, but school districts
are free to create their own curricular standards, said Joe Donovan of
the state Department of Public Instruction.

There have been scattered efforts for other boards to adopt similar
measures. Last month the Dover Area School Board in Pennsylvania voted
to require the teaching of alternative theories to evolution, including
"intelligent design" — the idea that life is too complex to have
developed without a creator.

In 1999, the state education board in Kansas deleted most references to
evolution. The decision was reversed in 2001.

In March, the Ohio Board of Education narrowly approved a lesson plan
that some critics contended opens the door to teaching creationism.