[extropy-chat] Enlightenment and the election

Brent Neal brentn at freeshell.org
Wed Nov 10 03:16:07 UTC 2004

 (11/9/04 17:41) J. Andrew Rogers <andrew at ceruleansystems.com> wrote:

>Brent Neal wrote:
>> You know, if the smart folks tend to preferentially vote for someone,
>> I'd consider that carefully.  Even though our status as educated seems
>> to attract disdain from you, my experience is that we tend to think
>> more about our own choices, and not what our preacher tells us to do.
>

>There is no evidence in this particular election that the smart folks
>preferentially voted any one way.  Most self-described big city liberals

I would disagree. You're comparing apples and oranges. "big-city liberal" does not equal "educated."  "Uneducated," however, does equal a likely Bush voter as has been amply covered on most of the major news sources.

>In practice, blue state folks are just as ignorant of science,
>mathematics, and culture as red state folks.  They just specialize in
>different sub-areas when it comes to ignorance.  If you do not recognize
>this (no matter which side you claim to be on), then you are precisely
>the type of person I am talking about.

Your fallacy here is that you are assuming that "blue-state" and "red-state" persons are homogenous groups. You also got your cause and effect backwards.

Brent Neal
Geek of all Trades
http://brentn.freeshell.org

"Specialization is for insects" -- Robert A. Heinlein