[extropy-chat] Enlightenment and the election

Brent Neal brentn at freeshell.org
Wed Nov 10 14:20:08 UTC 2004

 (11/10/04 0:09) David Lubkin <extropy at unreasonable.com> wrote:

>Amply covered, perhaps, but apparently untrue. See the exit polls CNN
>reports at http://tinyurl.com/57l72
>
>No high school (4%) -- Bush 49 % / Kerry 50%
>H. S. graduate (22%) -- Bush 52% / Kerry 47%
>Some college (32%) -- Bush 54% / Kerry 46%
>College graduate (26%) -- Bush 52% / Kerry 46%
>Postgrad study (16%) -- Bush 44% / Kerry 55%
>
>(It would be interesting to see a breakdown by field of study. Engineers
>are notoriously conservative and scientists liberal.)

Reliability of exit polls not withstanding, I spent some quality time with the census data and found that the percentage of people in a state with a 4-yr degree or higher correlated pretty well with Kerry's performance in the state.  I didn't do anything formal, but apparently some researchers at the University of Maryland did, and found the same thing.

Brent
--
Brent Neal
Geek of all Trades

"Specialization is for insects" -- Robert A. Heinlein