[extropy-chat] 'Unskilled jobs to go in 10 years'

Max M maxm at mail.tele.dk
Wed Nov 10 20:53:55 UTC 2004

Brian Lee wrote:

> We get the benefit that the capital that would have gone to labor can
> now go to more useful things.

Yes, I can buy stuff cheaper.

> The money you save buying cheaper goods allows you to purchase more
> goods and services, etc etc.

Not really. It's not only about me. My neighbour who lost his job, can
buy less stuff because of unemployment, and I can buy less stuff because
my union fee/unemployment insurance rises in price.

> Jobs are really just displaced, not eliminated.

I didn't mean that they are eliminated. They are made less valuable.
Makin stuff cheaper by using cheaper labor doesn't add wealth. Only
increased productivity, new technology and more efficient markets
creates wealth.

--

hilsen/regards Max M, Denmark

http://www.mxm.dk/