[extropy-chat] Technique for 'turning off' danger genes cuts cholesterol

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Thu Nov 11 02:30:49 UTC 2004

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/science_technology/story.jsp?story=581597

By Steve Connor, Science Editor

Scientists have found a way of treating potentially fatal diseases by
switching off harmful genes. In what is described as one of the most
important breakthroughs in decades, researchers have shown that RNA
interference can cut cholesterol levels in laboratory mice with a method
that could be applied to humans at risk of heart attacks.

They say RNA interference (RNAi) could be used to treat a wide range of
disorders, from HIV and Aids to genetic diseases and cancer. RNAi can
switch off harmful genes that cause disease but leave other essential genes
untouched.

Science had not previously demonstrated a safe, reliable way of using it on
patients, but now researchers led by Hans-Peter Vornlocher, head of
research at the pharmaceuticals company Alnylam Europe, have devised a
simple method of delivering RNAi to all the cells of the body via an
intravenous injection. In experiments on mice they injected short lengths
of RNA - a molecule similar to DNA - that had been designed to switch off
or "silence" the gene responsible for producing apoliprotein B, a protein
involved in the synthesis of the damaging form of cholesterol.

By coincidence, the researchers used another form of the cholesterol
molecule, which they had attached to the RNA molecule to allow the RNA to
slip through the cell membranes of the body.

"The idea is that the lipophilic [fat-attracting] population of cholesterol
molecules will act as a Trojan horse to get the RNA into the cells," Dr
Vornlocher said.

Results in the journal Nature showed that the technique successfully
silenced the gene for apoliprotein B and consequently cut cholesterol
levels in the bloodstream of the injected mice by up to a half. Dr
Vornlocher said: "We have meaningfully advanced the field of RNAi. We think
we can transfer the work into a human setting."

Julian Downward, an expert in RNAi at Cancer Research UK, said the findings
were a very exciting development in the design of new treatments for many
incurable diseases. "For the first time it harnesses the great potency and
specificity that RNA interference has shown in the lab to a format that can
be used in patients in the clinic," Dr Downward said. "This brings the
prospect of uniquely targeted therapies a big step closer, even for
diseases that have previously proven hard to develop conventional drugs
against."

John Rossi of the Beckman Research Institute of the City of Hope in Duarte
in California, who is working on ways of using RNAi to treat patients with
Aids, said the Alnylam technique of attaching RNA molecules to cholesterol
is potentially very important."It is hoped this approach might be used to
shut down disease-related genes in humans; with [this study in mice] that
dreams moves a little closer to reality," Dr Rossi says in a Nature
editorial. "The beauty of these results in the relative simplicity of the
delivery method."

Further research is, however, needed to monitor potential side-effects and
to assess how long the effect persists without the need for further
injections. Andrew Hamilton, lecturer in gene regulation and mechanisms of
disease at the University of Glasgow, said: "It's one more step toward the
clinic for RNAi."

"Although there may be many diseases we could treat with RNAi-based
medicine, we need more work on targeting, efficiency, persistence and
possible side-effects."

John Maraganore, chief executive of Alnylam, said: "We are committed to
working on direct and systemic applications of RNAi in cardiovascular
disease, diabetes, obesity, hepatitis, cancer and many infectious diseases."

10 November 2004 20:28