[extropy-chat] 'Unskilled jobs to go in 10 years'

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Thu Nov 11 06:58:17 UTC 2004

At 05:10 PM 11/11/2004 +1030, Emmers wrote:

>If global labour could move with less restriction, this interim period
>should be less painful (eg: you or I could easily move to India if so
>inclined, and take up a job there, where, relative to their local
>economy, the job pays pretty well).

There's not a lot stopping you from doing this kind of thing right now
(well, aside from the kids). Have notepad, will travel. Move to Mexico or
India or Sri Lanka or Russia, etc. But that assumes you'd manage the
culture-shock, language gap, and perhaps more importantly that the locals
accept your presence, your wicked Western ways, your godlessness, the job
you've filched from their own bright kid, etc. And perhaps the health
services aren't too crash-hot.

And of course folks like Emlyn and me can live in Oz, equivalent in most
respects to the States but safer, while earning US$$ worth 1/3 more than
AU$$. Better to spend a currency even more degraded, but WestCiv has its
appeal.

Damien Broderick