[extropy-chat] Seth and other nonsense

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 09:40:01 UTC 2004

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 14:43:34 +0800, walter_chen wrote:

> But it also can not satisfy me if you say pure 4 physical forces alone can
> evolve into
> such complicated world and thoughtful human beings like you and me.
> Maybe technology is not the best way to transcend the human limits.
> And I don't understand why Seth-related stuff is nonsense.

If you *really* don't know why channeling is nonsense (or fraud) read:

Demon-Haunted World
by CARL SAGAN, ANN DRUYAN
Carl Sagan muses on the current state of scientific thought, which
offers him marvelous opportunities to entertain us with his own
childhood experiences, the newspaper morgues, UFO stories, and the
assorted flotsam and jetsam of pseudoscience. Along the way he debunks
alien abduction, faith-healing, and channeling; refutes the arguments
that science destroys spirituality, and provides a "baloney detection
kit" for thinking through political, social, religious, and other
issues.

Why People Believe Weird Things:  Pseudoscience, Superstition, and
Other Confusions of Our Time
by Michael Schermer
Review <http://www.rathinker.co.kr/skeptic/refuge/weird.html>

BillK