[extropy-chat] 'Unskilled jobs to go in 10 years'

Brian Lee brian_a_lee at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 15 16:02:39 UTC 2004

Of course as far as anything, outsourcing can be done properly or poorly. It
does not always benefit a company to outsource, but it frequently does.

As for people being layed off, etc for "retraining". While it is true that
the individuals layed off can't buy more stuff, others who are benefiting
from outsourcing can. This is why wealth has grown as globalization
increased over the past 50 years even as industries such as manufacturing
employed fewer and fewer people.

Outsourcing hurts some people. But on the whole (and especially over time)
it helps out economies. Of course, once I get outsourced I may become
irrational.

Of course the real world is not simple, but I try to keep my examples simple
as I am not an economist.

BAL