[extropy-chat] Religious fanatic? Blame it on 'god gene'

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Mon Nov 15 20:57:25 UTC 2004

--- Zero Powers <zero.powers at gmail.com> wrote:
> "[World News]: London, Nov 15 : "God genes" are
> responsible for
> creating religious fanatics, says new scientific
> research - much to
> the chagrin of church representatives.  The findings
> of Dean Hamer,
> director of the US National Cancer Institute's Gene
> Structure and
> Regulation Unit, also claim that Jesus, the Buddha
> and Prophet
> Mohammed are likely to have carried the gene."
>
> If this is true, the chances of us ever wiping out
> the FTB's would
> appear to be very remote indeed.  Sad.

...what about the possibility for biological weapons
designed to target everyone with - or everyone without
- this gene?  (Fundies might target everyone without
it, accepting that pious members of other religions
might be spared "but they worship God in their own
ways", and accepting that "less faithful" members of
their own religion would also be affected.  OTOH, if
the rabidly faithful were incapacitated - not killed,
but clearly not blessed - en masse around their holy
days...)

To be clear, I'm not actually suggesting the above as
something to do.  Just pointing out how (and why)
certain people might abuse this.