[extropy-chat] Religious fanatic? Blame it on 'god gene'

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Tue Nov 16 01:13:00 UTC 2004

--- Kevin Freels <cmcmortgage at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> I know this is probably incoherent jabber to you,
> but I have had a story in
> the back of my mind about such a weapon, but never
> narrowed it down to a
> specific gene. I expected it to be something more
> pleiotropic and/or hugely
> polygenic. If it is indeed related to one, or even a
> few genes, this could
> really get my story going. WOOHOO!

If you're seriously going to write a story about it,
it'd probably be best to identify a small group of
genes rather than a single one, and don't name them
except for slang names (like "the god genes").  There
are probably multiple genes that could influence one
towards being highly - even fanatically - spiritual,
for whatever version of "spiritual" happens to be
floating around one's community of birth, especially
in combination with one another.