[extropy-chat] Religious fanatic? Blame it on 'god gene'

Eliezer Yudkowsky sentience at pobox.com
Tue Nov 16 06:35:48 UTC 2004

Damien Broderick wrote:

> 2) What Spike said, with bells on. Try to remember what happened when
> Robert Bradbury posted a series of apparently genocide-encouraging posts
> not long ago. This is the extropian list, not a hangout for wannabe
> death squads.
>
> 3) If anyone wishes to explore the idea of interfering with genes
> conducive to spiritual experiences and religious behavior, why not try
> positing a virus that *silences* the genes, rather than murdered their
> carriers? This is also pretty damned totalitarian as a notion, but
> markedly less vile.

Spider Robinson would disagree.  As the hero of Spider's _Mindkiller_ said,
"I have made it a rule never to tamper with anyone's memories if I can
accomplish my purpose by merely killing them."  I think I'm not with Spider
on this, especially if the tampering is reversible, but I can see where
Spider is coming from.

> 4) Then you should go and read the great novel using this very idea,
> Jamil Nasir's DISTANCE HAZE (Bantam, 2000), where a reductionist
> scientist of considerable subtlety edits out such genes, in vitro, from
> his daughter's genome. The fictional outcome to this thought experiment
> might give even an ardent atheist pause.

Logical fallacy of generalization from imaginary evidence.