[extropy-chat] FWD (SK) Principles: absolute, or guiding?

Terry W. Colvin fortean1 at mindspring.com
Wed Nov 17 02:55:57 UTC 2004

Steven Goodridge wrote an excellent commentary upon guiding principles and
such. I recommend that readers read it again.

However, there is a bit more to add.

Traffic engineering and highway traffic operation is not a "hard science"
such as physics and chemistry are. It is a combination of some features of
hard science (the physics of acceleration, braking, turning, hill climbing
and hill descending, etc.) and physiological science (reaction time, spread
of mental concentration, vision, etc.) and social science (laws, which side
of the road, following behavior, class distinctions, etc.). Therefore,
while Newton's Laws of Motion strictly apply to the strictly physics
aspects, there cannot be a traffic operating law that applies to all other
aspects of traffic operation with the same degree of rigor. There are bound
to be blurred edges, marginal conditions in which the degree of conformity
is less or even non-existent. Therefore, to pretend that such a law has
been created is absolutely false; such cannot be created.

Much of the discussion herein, and elsewhere, also. about bicycle
transportation, is based on the false and impossible assumption that
bicycle transportation is based on rigorous logical principles. This type
of discussion is that appropriate to classical philosophical argument, or
to the discussions of social activities that use similar methods, such as
religion and communism. That is, starting from verbal assumptions to
produce a logically consistent description of the world. "I think,
therefore I am," "God created mankind in His image," etc., etc. This form
of deductive reasoning from assumptions that cannot be more than
approximations to reality produces grotesque results, as modern
philosophers have generally accepted.

Producing any accurate description of the world requires repeated testing
against the real world, with either verification or modification as the
result. The real world is complex and, in certain areas, apparently
illogical, because we do not yet know the more accurate description that
would explain the apparent illogicality. The further we get from the "hard"
sciences, the greater the deviation from the simple and accurate
explanations of the hard sciences. (And don't bring in quantum mechanics;
that's a different kettle of fish that is both far too complex and largely
irrelevant to this discussion.)

Those who are trying to turn advocacy of bicycle transportation into a
philosophical system are doing so because they have particular assumptions
upon which they want to base its structure, as if by doing so they could
change the structure into one that supports their assumptions. That's all
nonsense. Transportation engineering is not a logical philosophical system,
but an empirical description of the real world, as near as we can produce
such. It must be tested against reality at each step. While it helps to
infer general principles that generally apply, such as the vehicular
cycling principle, none of them can be assumed to be a complete description
of the world, and even less cannot be supposed to command and direct the
real world.

In short, just stop trying to argue about bicycle transportation as if it
were a classical philosophical system. Those who do so disclose their
intent to insist on incorporating their peculiar and probably inaccurate
assumptions into its structure. While their intent is to have the system
reflect what they consider to be the basic descriptions of reality, the
result of the errors that are built into such an approach is inevitably to
push the system into a grotesque cartoon of reality. Unfortunately, as we
know from the editorial pages, grotesque cartoons have psychological
appeal. Learning and applying the truths, piece by piece, has much less
appeal than the supposed insight of cartoons, but it is the only accurate way.

John Forester, MS, PE
Bicycle Transportation Engineer

--
"Only a zit on the wart on the heinie of progress." Copyright 1992, Frank Rice

Terry W. Colvin, Sierra Vista, Arizona (USA) < fortean1 at mindspring.com >
     Alternate: < fortean1 at msn.com >
Home Page: < http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Stargate/8958/index.html >
Sites: * Fortean Times * Mystic's Haven * TLCB *
      U.S. Message Text Formatting (USMTF) Program