[extropy-chat] Re: What makes one a libertarian?

Al Brooks kerry_prez at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 18 07:22:47 UTC 2004

Sure, some. Nevertheless the widespread libertarian
fear of the state makes little sense; mistrust, yes,
fear, no. Their fear is justified-yet-misplaced, for
instance there is indeed a real risk of having
firearms taken, however with an organization such as
the NRA guarding second amendment rights the odds are
vastly greater a robber will break in to their homes
to remove firearms than the state will do so. Lib is
very attractive philosophically, who doesn't want more
personal liberty? What isn't at all attractive is the
antigovernment paranoia many libs suffer from. In the
'70s I liked libertarianism more than anything and
went to meetings. Thereafter, listening to
near-hysterical antistatist talk, I lost serious
interest. Orwell wrote how Christians are the worst
advertisements for their creed- same might be said for
libs.

>  Isn't it possible that some libertarians might just
be libertarian
> because they believe the idea to be sound, logical,
and better than >the alternatives?