[extropy-chat] Yehuda Yudkowsky, 1985-2004

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Fri Nov 19 05:01:29 UTC 2004

Eliezer,

I am extremely sorry for your [/our] loss.   Death utterly sucks and
humanity would be much better off never  pretending otherwise.

When I was 14 my cousin who was 17 died.  He was in a motorcycle
accident and lingered for some hours.   We were told to pray for his
healing.   We prayed.  He died.   "It must not have been God's will" we
were told.  Or "we lacked sufficient faith" to pray effectively.   I
remember how twisted up inside I felt hearing these things, how helpless
and how very angry.    How could it be "God's will" to snuff out this
wonderful young life?   How was it up to us to twist ourselves into
pretzels somehow in order to save my cousin Virgil or anyone else who
need not have been put through such suffering to begin with if a "just"
and "good" God was in charge as we were always told?   How could the
people say these expected things and be all somber and then immediately
pretend nothing had happened a mere few hours later?   How could they
not scream and cry out as I screamed and cried inside?   Were they all
zombies?

If more people stopped making pious or otherwise excuses for the horror
of death and disease then we would finally move to end this suffering.
When I was 14 I didn't know it was even possible to do so.  Many people
do not know it still.    We must make sure they know.   Many more who do
know act as if it isn't so.

We must never forget our dead and never ever resign ourselves, those we
care about or anyone to death.   We must truly embrace life not by
acceptance of death but by extending life endlessly and without
limitation.

Eliezer, I salute your deep and utter dedication to life.   You are a
living inspiration to us all.

- samantha