[extropy-chat] Yehuda Yudkowsky, 1985-2004

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Fri Nov 19 18:43:31 UTC 2004

The real tragedy, the tragedy that will continue to evade future effective
life extension treatments and any system of Big Benevolent AI intervention
short of total surveillance and dictatorial control, is that those who
choose to end their own lives will do so. Arguably we must respect their
decision, while grieving that it is so. We can hope to help and support
them in their suffering or misery or despair--if they choose to let us know
about it--but death remains a choice always available to every individual
(except for those who most wish it, trapped in a hospital or hospice bed).

Damien Broderick