[extropy-chat] Writing for the Future

scerir scerir at libero.it
Fri Nov 19 21:42:38 UTC 2004

Damien Broderick
> ... and the tedious way certain scientists
> (or at any rate the journalists reporting them)
> apparently believe they have only just dreamed up
> this amazing gosh-wow idea. No memory of Fredkin
> or his predecessors, let alone sf versions. [..]
> .. Oh well.

"Once, at the afternoon tea, in the Institute [Copenhagen]
E. Teller [yes, that Teller] tried to explain to Bohr
why he thought Bohr was wrong in thinking that the
historical set-up of classical concepts would forever
dominate our way of expressing our sense experience.
Bohr listened with closed eyes and finally only said:
"Oh, I understand. You might as well say that we are
not sitting here, drinking tea, but that we are just
dreaming all that."

In 'The Copenhagen Interpretation', by C.F.von Weizsaecker,
in 'Quantum Theory and Beyond', Ted Bastin ed.,
Cambridge U.P., 1971.

>From the past,
s.

Bohr: We must treat the measuring device classically.
Wigner: Why must we? What will happen to us if we don't?