[extropy-chat] FWD [forteana] Re: No CNN reports of Wormsign in Iraq Iss yet

Terry W. Colvin fortean1 at mindspring.com
Sun Nov 21 17:58:18 UTC 2004

It's long struck me that, for those who like to look for conspiracies,
propaganda, and subversion under every bed and every rock, Frank
Herbert's whole "Dune" series might be seen as diabolically clever
Muslim and jihadist propaganda! The whole culture and ecology of
Arrakis/Dune and its inhabitants are essentially Middle Eastern and
specifically Arabic, a sort of extraterrestrial far-future Saudi Arabia
or super-Sahara, the language is a sort of pig-Arabic,  the religion is
a sort of para-Islam, etc. Frank Herbert was obviously fascinated by
Arabic and Muslim culture and attitudes, and felt that any future
Galactic human civilization  would include a prominent Middle Eastern
component that would  dominate some inhabited worlds. He may have even
specifically thought of worm spice as a far-future counterpart of
petroleum--just as 20th century industrial Earth civilization ran on
Middle Eastern oil, so far-future space-faring Galactic civilization ran
on worm vomit from Dune! Of course, Herbert died long before 9/11, and
had apparently no idea how prevalent and virulent jihads would in fact
become within just a few years of his own time! I sort of wonder how (or
whether!) he would have revised or rewritten  his "Dune" series if he
had lived into and past 9/11??

Salaam alaikum,
T. Peter

--
"Only a zit on the wart on the heinie of progress." Copyright 1992, Frank Rice

Terry W. Colvin, Sierra Vista, Arizona (USA) < fortean1 at mindspring.com >
     Alternate: < fortean1 at msn.com >
Home Page: < http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Stargate/8958/index.html >
Sites: * Fortean Times * Mystic's Haven * TLCB *
      U.S. Message Text Formatting (USMTF) Program