Structure of AI (was: Re: [extropy-chat] COMP: Distributed Computing)

Samantha Atkins samantha at objectent.com
Sun Nov 21 19:21:37 UTC 2004

On Nov 20, 2004, at 2:09 PM, J. Andrew Rogers wrote:
> Or to put it another way, there is no theoretical reason that one
> could not create a human-level intelligence on an old 486 computer.
> The speed of the computer is orthogonal to the problem space, and only
> weakly relevant as a practical matter.

Go ahead then.  If by human-level intelligence you mean remotely
equivalent in terms of cognitive operations per unit time then I would
be very surprised if any such thing could be acheived on such an
architecture.   I don't see that the grater switching speed vs lack of
significant parallelism is in favor of such.

- s