Structure of AI (was: Re: [extropy-chat] COMP: Distributed Computing)

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at ceruleansystems.com
Sun Nov 21 22:50:16 UTC 2004

On Nov 21, 2004, at 11:43 AM, Samantha Atkins wrote:

> Interesting.  Please provide some citations to the relevant work.
> Googling I find a great deal by GJ Chaitin and others on "Algorithmic
> Information Theory".   Can you point out what you believe is the most
> accessible and AI relevant material?   Such pointers would be much
> appreciated.

Chaitin is mostly unrelated to these specific issues, even though it is
the same field of mathematics.  His popularity and fame in various
matters google bombs the rest of the field.

Directly pertinent to what I was talking about would be Hutter's and
Schmidhuber's work at IDSIA.  Hutter has some papers on a universal
theory of AI based on algorithmic probability and decision theory from
circa 2000 that are both accessible and frame some aspects of the
problem very well, and the references in the appendices will point you
to most of the foundational mathematics (Kolmogorov, Solomonoff, and
Levin mostly).  The de facto standard text for algorithmic information
theory is Li and Vitanyi, which is also quite good.

To sum up rather crudely, you can formally integrate universal
induction, decision theory, and some other bits into an elegant
universal mathematical definition of intelligence, and derive system
models from it that one can prove are universally optimal predictors
and decision makers.  Unfortunately, while we can show that all
intelligent systems have to be a derivative system of this in some
fashion, the theoretically pure system derivation is utterly
intractable due primarily to the universal induction aspect.  The
nature and shape of the algorithm space suggested by this mathematics
is very different than the traditional assumptions of AI research.

It is interesting to note that while the basic theory of universal
induction was published in the late 1970s, to date no useful and
tractable approximation has ever been described in literature despite
the fact that this was a thoroughly trod area even prior to the
mathematical formalization.  From the standpoint of the above
mathematics, the problem of general AI is reduced to a long-standing
theoretical computer science problem of tractable induction.

cheers,

j. andrew rogers