[extropy-chat] Re: Structure of AI

scerir scerir at libero.it
Tue Nov 23 17:25:58 UTC 2004

From: "Eliezer Yudkowsky"

> > Is a simulation 'detailed enough' the same as a simulation
> > 'deterministic enough'? Because, in this case, the simulation
> > would be too strong, that is to say no 'free will' (whatever
> > it means) would be allowed.
>
> This is where Adrian's rule comes in handy; until you can give me an
> experimental test for the presence or absence of free will, you're not
> allowed to talk about it.  :)

There is, perhaps, another remote possibility.
Observed from without, the will is determined.
Observed from within, it is free.
(Something like Weyl's 'Block Universe', which is
different when seen from within, or when seen
from without.)

If the above makes sense, hmmm, another question arises.
That is to say, is the 'simulation' going on from
within or from without?

s.

'The moment we want to believe something,
we suddenly see all the arguments for
it, and become blind to the arguments
against it.'
-George Bernard Shaw

'The problem of `free will' assumes an acute
but concrete form. Namely, in common-sense
reasoning, a person often decides what to do
by evaluating the results of the different actions
he can do. An intelligent program must use
this same process, but using an exact formal sense
of can, must be able to show that it has these
alternatives without denying that it is
a deterministic machine.'
-John McCarthy