[extropy-chat] Brazil and China to legalize genetically modifiedcrops

Kevin Freels cmcmortgage at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 23 18:02:21 UTC 2004

This is good news. One thing I have been wondering lately is why we don't do
the same thing with meat. It seems to me that if a human ear can be grown on
the back of a mouse, and that if they are learning to grow human organs in a
lab, it should be less complicated to grow a slab of beef in a manufacturing
facility. You could have one assembly line that "makes" rib-eye and another
that makes 100% lean ground beef. With this kind of manufactirung
capability, the entire concern over mad cow disease, and many other health
issues could be done away with completely. Meat could be genetically
modified to get rid of fats and other harmful things, and even tweaked to
get the maximum nutrients with the least amount of garbage. The entire
factory that raises animals in horrible surroundings only to cut their meat
from them before they are completely dead could be done away with. Pig
farmers could become technicians and manufacturers of pig meat. What
obstacles are there to being able to go to the stor and purchase a slab of
lab-grown meat? Surely we aren;t too far from that ability. Are we?

Kevin Freels