[extropy-chat] Brazil and China to legalize geneticallymodifiedcrops

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 23 19:53:07 UTC 2004

--- Adrian Tymes <wingcat at pacbell.net> wrote:

> --- Kevin Freels <cmcmortgage at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> > I can see where the development of the processes
> > would be expensive, but
> > wouldn;t the product still use many of those same
> > natural biological
> > processes? I was thinking that it would actually be
> > more efficient and less
> > costly than regular farming in the long run since
> > you aren't feeding the
> > bones, brains, and energy to walk around and feed. I
> > was also thinking that
> > there would also be more usable "meat" in the same
> > space since a cow needs
> > more room
>
> Eliminate the brain, and you need to regulate hormone
> balance yourself.
>
> Eliminate the stomach, intestines, and kidneys, and
> you need to provide carefully balanced nutrients,
> removing any toxins (including those generated by the
> cells you are keeping) yourself.
>
> And so forth.  In theory, it can be made cheaper.  In
> practice, it's going to take a lot of developmnt to
> make it so.

This is a good example of how 'efficient' doesn't necessarily mean
'cheaper'. High efficiency generally costs more than low efficiency.
Given the output of a vat grown steak is merely a one time impact on
the human palate, I doubt spending $1 million growing a steak at 99%
thermodynamic efficiency is a worthwhile investment.

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)