[extropy-chat] Privacy, Security?? Don't make me laugh.

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 24 14:59:05 UTC 2004

--- BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 05:14:17 -0800 (PST), Mike Lorrey wrote:
> >
> > --- BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Nine out of ten computers connected to the internet are infested
> with
> > > viruses and spyware.
> > I highly doubt it is nine out of ten. In my years I've only seen
> one
> > person who repeatedly did the things that result in virus infection
> > without learning her lesson. Most people have anti-virus software
> > installed, though many don't update it as frequently as they
> should.
> >

> Sorry, I should have quoted more of the sources, but the original
> email was getting rather long.
> Try, for starters, (but google much, much, more)
> <http://www.itfacts.biz/index.php?id=C0_17_1>
> <http://www.itfacts.biz/index.php?id=P1954>
>
> 20% of Dell support calls are spyware-related
> Dell says spyware now affects about 90% of computers.

Okay, spyware. Understood. That includes the HP software that came with
my HP printer (used to make sure I don't print fake copies of fake
dollar bills, among other big brotherish things), among software from
other major companies.

That doesn't mean that 90% of computers are infected with viruses.

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)