[extropy-chat] Movie: WHAT THE BLEEP DO WE KNOW!?

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Fri Nov 26 00:05:06 UTC 2004

At 03:15 PM 11/25/2004 -0800, Adrian wrote:

> > Preferably,
> > find and assess more complete accounts of the trials
> > on Suitbert's site.
>
>Or better yet, on some independent sites whose
>maintainers not only have practice in reviewing
>claims of this nature, but who also dedicate their
>time to reviewing them so the rest of us can spend our
>time the way we wish to.

This is very nearly impossible to achieve, I think. `Independent' in such a
vexed topic means `as yet unpersuaded'. The moment an independent observer
becomes convinced that the psi data really do show something weird as shit
happening, s/he loses standing as an independent and is seen, willynilly,
as either a convert or a dupe. I'm extremely relieved, sometimes, that
unlike Michael Crichton I've never seen a bunch of people bending cutlery
by stroking it gently and then gone on to do it repeatedly myself. If this
did happen, and was filmed, and I affirmed upon my life that it was not
fraudulent, would you, Adrian, take this testimony as evidence of anything
other than my credulity or bogosity? What *would* it take? A theory that
explains it, perhaps. I don't know, it's very unsettling. If I ever do see
people I trust bending metal by pure force of personality (rather than just
being told about it), and if I learn how to do it myself, I'll be very
tempted to shut up about it. The file-drawer in the other cabinet...

Damien Broderick