[extropy-chat] Atheists launch inquisition...

Hal Finney hal at finney.org
Fri Nov 26 04:36:48 UTC 2004

Mike Lorrey writes:
> If the administration was telling the teacher what can be taught about
> the documents, that is one thing. She is instead specifically being
> prevented from teaching *THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE*.

Actually the article says:

: Among the materials she [the principal] has rejected, according to
: Williams, are excerpts from the Declaration of Independence, George
: Washington's journal, John Adams' diary, Samuel Adams' "The Rights of the
: Colonists" and William Penn's "The Frame of Government of Pennsylvania."

This sounds like the teacher is specifically selecting excerpts from
the DOI and other documents.  If these are selected in such a way as
to emphasize religiosity rather than to teach the document as a whole,
the principle is doing the right thing.

And again, keep in mind that we are receiving a biased and one-sided
presentation of the issues.

Hal