[extropy-chat] Atheists launch inquisition...

Hal Finney hal at finney.org
Sat Nov 27 03:10:58 UTC 2004

David, <deimtee at optusnet.com.au>, writes:

> The theory about what can come out of black holes is often
> misused in this way. The theory says that anything at all
> could possibly be emitted, no matter how unlikely, but
> anything that IS emitted WILL obey the laws of physics
> of this universe.

Right, and besides, Hawking claims to have fixed this.  Stuff that
comes out isn't random but rather reflects the state of what went in.
Which is good because otherwise it violates the information-preserving
properties which are fundamental to quantum mechanics.  Most physicists
have believed this is how it would come out, but a big name like Hawking
coming up with a proof should really put the issue to bed.  Last I heard
he hadn't published yet, but after all he types pretty slow so people
are willing to be patient...

Hal