[extropy-chat] Atheists launch inquisition...

Joseph Bloch jbloch at humanenhancement.com
Sat Nov 27 03:56:05 UTC 2004

Mike,

I must disagree with you here. Few atheists I know, myself included,
would say that they definitively know god(s) do not exist. Rather, in
the absence of any evidence to support the (positive) claim that god(s)
_do_ exist, the default position must be that they do not; it is not a
claim that requires evidence, as you intimate, since the burden of proof
is on those making the positive claim. And, connected therewith, I'm
sure that almost everyone out there who declares thay they definitively
do not believe in god(s) would change that opinion in the face of truly
incontravertable evidence (just as I, who does not believe in the Loch
Ness Monster, would immediately change that opinion if one were to be
hauled up in a net tomorrow). Alas, religion to date has failed to
provide such evidence.

And your appeal to the Simulation Argument, as if it were some panacea
to the question of the existence of god(s), seems quite incongruous.
Could you elaborate on why you think it points to proof of the existence
of god(s)?

Joseph