[extropy-chat] anthropogenic-climate-change skeptics in Oz

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 27 04:59:56 UTC 2004

--- Hal Finney <hal at finney.org> wrote:

> In the popular press I get the impression that there is actually a
> pretty strong emerging consensus that the human contribution is very
> significant.
> The precise details are still uncertain but I don't think many
> scientists would still maintain that natural contributions overwhelm
> human ones.

Listening to the popular press is your first mistake. On the contrary,
as climate simulations get more and more accurate, they increasingly
show two things:
a) the projected future temperature change is increasingly smaller,
and,
b) the contribution of anthropic causes is increasingly smaller.

A third thing being found out is that 'global warming' is increasingly
NOT. It is essentially a phenomenon of the arctic north, and, when
looked at in conjunction with northern hemisphere warming on Mars and
Uranus, it is clear that there are significant natural phenomenon which
scientists are only beginning to understand.

Last time I looked, they weren't burning oil on Mars or Uranus.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/11/26/1101219743320.html?oneclick=true
> (bugmenot.com gave me pharkedup/idea as a login to read it):
>
> : The 2504 scientists and reviewers who work under the banner of the
> United
> : Nations-sponsored Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC)
> look
> : set to make even stronger pronouncements about the role of humans
> on
> : climate in their next assessment, due in 2007.

A significant number of these 2504 scientists have made serious
objections to the conclusions of the IPCC and have stated that the data
that was used from their own studies actually demonstrated the opposite
of the IPCC reports conclusions. In fact, the IPCC's original draft
drew conclusions entirely contradictory to the final draft which was
written by the politicians, not the scientists.

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)