[extropy-chat] Atheists launch inquisition...

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 27 05:12:17 UTC 2004

--- "Fred C. Moulton" <moulton at moulton.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2004-11-26 at 09:42, Mike Lorrey wrote:
> > --- "Fred C. Moulton" <moulton at moulton.com> wrote:>
> > > Definition 2 seems to be dealing with religious matters but here
> > > again there is nothing which logically links Atheism with faith.
> > > For
> > > example you can be an Atheist without having a "firm belief in
> > > something for which there is no proof".
> >
> > On the contrary. A firm belief in the claim that there is no God,
> > or other universe-creator-being, humanity-creator-being, etc...
> > is a claim
> > to a proof which is not in evidence, and, given the Simulation
> > Argument, is contrary to evidence currently available.
>
> I think you may have made an editing error because what you sent does
> not address the point I was making.  You may want to try again.

I think my point is quite clear, and the fact that you can't see it is
illustrative of the blind spot that atheists find themselves in:
proving a negative is impossible, ergo the belief that god does not
exist is based on an impossible assumption and therefore is an article
of faith.

Secondly, given that the Simulation Argument states that the odds that
we live in a simulation universe (which automatically implies the
existence of a being that created that simulation) are far greater than
that we do not, the atheist belief that we live in an unsimulated
universe is arguing against the odds and therefore reaches a similar,
but not quite so absolute, degree of impossibility.

Ergo, any given atheist believes in two impossible things before
breakfast, whether they are able to articulate them so clearly or not
is irrelevant. How again do you distinguish yourself from a theist?

The only difference between a theist and an atheist is a space.

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)