[extropy-chat] Atheists launch inquisition...

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 27 18:47:36 UTC 2004

--- Olga Bourlin <fauxever at sprynet.com> wrote:

> From: "Mike Lorrey" <mlorrey at yahoo.com>
>
> > A person without a belief in god, but also without a belief in the
> > non-existence of god, is more properly described as an agnostic.
>
> Mike, are you saying that *no one* can rightly be an
> a(insertanycrazyideaofyourchoice)ist?

Nope. I am asserting that in order to be an atheist, you must believe
in the non-existence of god. To simply not have faith in or knowledge
knowledge of god's existence is agnosticism.

If you believe a negative (i.e. something which is unprovable) you have
faith, ergo real atheism is a faith.

> >  A belief without justification is a faith.
>
> ... and that, therefore, anyone who professes to be an
> a(insertanycrazyideaofyourchoice)ist is a "faithful" person?

Exactly.

> Does the proposal that "the burden of proof is on the person
> asserting the belief" make any sense to you?

And when the person with the belief cannot demonstrate a proof (because
proving a negative is impossible) then they are believing on faith alone.

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)