Subject: Re: [extropy-chat] Atheists launch inquisition...

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sun Nov 28 01:27:05 UTC 2004

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 22:00:28 +0000, ben wrote:

> I don't know what the correct term is for someone who just doesn't care
> whether or not gods exist.
>
> So, there are Anti-theists, who say "There is/are no god/s", Atheists,
> who don't believe in god/s, Agnostics, who don't know, and
> Don't-care-ists, who, er, don't care one way or the other. Oh, and of
> course, there's anti-religious people, who think that religion itself
> (irrespective of the existence or not of gods) is a Bad Thing.

Well, playing with the visual thesaurus, I find ------

agnostic/doubter - a person who doubts the truth of religion
is a type of
non-religious person ( a person who does not manifest devotion to a deity)
which include:-
     nihilist - someone who rejects all theories of morality or
     religious belief.
or
     gentile/heathen/pagan/infidel -
     a person who does not acknowledge *your* God
or
     rationalist/positivist - someone who emphasizes observable facts and
     excludes metaphysical speculation about origins or ultimate causes
or
     deist/freethinker - a person who believes that God created the
     universe, then abandoned it
or
     blasphemer - a person who speaks disrespectfully of sacred things

or
     nonbeliever/unbeliever/disbeliever -
     someone who refuses to believe (as in a divinity)
which is a type of
     atheist - someone who denies the existence of god
or is a type of
     materialist/irreligionist - someone who thinks that nothing exists but
     physical matter

All clear now?   :)

BillK