[extropy-chat] FWD [Skeptic] Re: The Forbin Project

Terry W. Colvin fortean1 at mindspring.com
Mon Nov 29 05:19:53 UTC 2004

At 06:54 PM 11/28/2004, Terry W. Colvin wrote:

>  All of the social
> commentary was lost.  Colossus became a '50s sci-fi caricature of a computer
> with a buzzy, barely-understandable voice synthesizer.  A couple of decades
> later, I went into the movie remembering how bad it was, expecting the worst
> again, and enjoyed it a little more.

Somewhat coincidentally about 4 people have sent me copies of this picture.

I thought it was probably from a powerplant  and not a computer. Snopes already
have it on their web site as it's actually a control panel from a submarine.

The only story from that period that even came close to the modern computer that
I ever saw was Murray Leinster's short story "A Logic Named Joe".

      []