[extropy-chat] Re: Intelligent Design and Irriducible Complexity

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sat Oct 2 13:08:38 UTC 2004

On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 20:55:43 -0700, Spike wrote:

> I would question this to some extent, but even if I
> allow these notions, we have another natural defense
> that few humans think about: we taste terrible.  Evidence:
> there are cases where lions or other large carnivores
> have slain humans, but do not actually devour same.
> Here in Taxifornia, we have mountain lions.  Occasionally
> one attacks and even slays a human.  It is common to
> find such a victim with exactly one hunk of meat torn away.
> The hunk of meat is often found nearby, undevoured.
> The Alaska bear guy who was found dead recently had exactly
> one leg more or less eaten.  The Australian babe carried
> away by the dingo was evidently not devoured either, for
> her clothing would have been shredded.
>
> If any large carnivore attacks a human, surely that beast
> was hungry, yet the prey is seldom devoured.  My conclusion
> is that evidently we taste terrible, and probably
> smell bad to most animals too.  So humans could likely
> survive in the wild alongside large carnivores, even
> without actually outsmarting them, like the skunk.
> Friends, we are skunks.

I don't think I can agree with this claim.
Cannibalism is not that uncommon, and reports say that humans taste like pork.

Quote:
Subject: Re: The Joys of Cannibalism
Date: Mon, 03 May 1999 16:58:37 -0800

...to those who posted the quaint belief that humans would somehow
"taste bad" or that it is preferable to eat herbivores rather than
carnivores -- actually, humans are neither herbivores nor carnivores;
they are omnivores and their meat tastes about like pig. Other omnivores
whose meat is popular with humans include raccoon, opossum, domestic
dog, and chickens. Other carnivores whose meat is popular with humans
include snakes (they taste just like chicken) and many species of fish.
So that "herbivore versus carnivore" distinction in flavour is a false
notion, as far as i can tell from experience. I have eaten and enjoyed
all of the above named species except domestic dog; although, truth to
tell, the only human flesh i have consumed is the customary home-grown
placenta (it tastes like fresh liver, but has a slightly crunchy-chewy
texture that is quite appealing, like heart or kidney).
End quote --------------

Human bones, picked clean, are often found in the wild. You have to
allow time for a big cat or a bear to eat a whole human. I would think
that all the flesh off one leg would just about fill a bear's stomach.
After a day or two the body would be surrounded by animals, birds,
insects, all looking for their share.

Another alternative protection is smell. Many species smell bad to
deter being eaten. But I doubt if this applies to humans. I've never
heard reports of a lion attacking a human, then wrinkling it's nose at
the pong and retreating. ;)

Another protection is distinctive coloration. Wasps, snakes etc., use
bright colors to warn away predators. But again, I don't think this
applies to humans.

But really, the whole principle is wrong, because:
Research Shows A Lot Of Things That Taste Bad Are Good For You
<http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2000/11/001128070121.htm>

BillK
"I like children, but I couldn't eat a whole one"