[extropy-chat] RE: Re: Intelligent Design and IrriducibleComplexity

Eliezer Yudkowsky sentience at pobox.com
Sun Oct 3 20:20:35 UTC 2004

Spike wrote:

> If that is the case, then we have an example of
> natural selection working at the group level.  But
> this only works if we use the term natural selection
> to include both survival selection and mate selection.
> If we allow natural selection to work at the group
> level, we suggest some possible solutions to the
> more difficult puzzles of evolution.

Group selection may be the wrong word for this, since it's usually taken to
imply a conflict between individual-level selection and group-level
selection with the group selection pressure winning.  What you're talking
about is an isolated subpopulation undergoing genetic drift augmented by
sexual selection, that then pops up and outcompetes other subpopulations.
That's not 'group selection' as usually defined because there's no obvious
conflict between group-level selection pressure and individual-level
selection pressure.  No one denies that groups (such as human tribes) are
occasionally the vehicles selected upon; the difficult part is for
group-level selection pressure to ever defeat a countervailing individual
selection pressure.