[extropy-chat] Subscribing to Conscription (WAS Gandhi's antipode)

stencil etcs.ret at verizon.net
Thu Oct 7 01:13:19 UTC 2004

FWIW I doubt Gandhi ever had an antipode.  Zbigniew  Brzezinski, maybe, or
more likely Karol Wojtyla,  but Gandhi - naah.

Addressing the topic, it's difficult to believe any responsible official, or
even Charlie Rangel, would be able to articulate just what a draft of
conscripts was supposed to *do* after completing Basic.  Homeland Security
might find a use for a few hundred thousand mouthbreathers,  but DOD has made
it crystal clear that they have learned the Lesson of '75,  that unleashing a
horde of Kerry dunces is not the way to go.  Even a Democrat SecDef would
treat the idea of a draft with contempt and would be far more likely to
respond to a major provocation by proposing a short disciplinary exercise,
followed by a diplomatic solution:  the resurrection of the Ottoman empire,
minus the Caliphate.  I'm sure that Libya and Nigeria would be more than
willing to contribute peacekeepers to help Turkey establish Islam With a Human
Face in whatever's left of Tehran and Damascus.

stencil sends