[extropy-chat] the latest fashion in prescription dispensing

Hal Finney hal at finney.org
Thu Oct 7 02:22:02 UTC 2004

Trend Ologist writes:
> It is time we let go of outdated doctor-patient relationships. Having
> one doctor write a prescription for a certain medication for one patient
> is so last-week, so old hat. This is the 21st century, we've got to do
> the In thing, get with the New, the Now.

I assume you are being facetious, and you actually believe that people
should be legally prevented from making their own decisions about what
substances to put into their bodies?

Would you extend this to extropian augmentations?  Do you think that
society should hold veto power over whether you can choose to enhance
your intelligence or emotional stability?

I know there are those who say that libertarianism is passe in
transhumanist thought.  To me, it is a fundamental part of extropian
philosophy that individuals have the right to enhance their own minds and
bodies, even if society disapproves.  I'd be curious to hear from those
who see themselves as extropian but who believe that these decisions
should be made collectively, aiming at maximizing the social welfare.

Hal