[extropy-chat] Article: "Political Victory: From Here to Maternity"

Paul carbone vanvidum at msn.com
Sat Oct 9 03:01:24 UTC 2004

>After reading this article,
>http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A54700-2004Sep1.html and
>wondered how mormons vote anyway.  If they genes reproduce more
>aggressivley than any other social domain, then how will they vote?
>
>Natasha

Well, look at it this way, the confluence of factors in Utah makes it
perfect for big conservatives to raise little ones. FIrst, you have
conservative parents with (presumably) whatever genetic factors that might
predispose someone to being conservative. Next you've got the peer group.
The peer group is also raised by conservative parents. So they grow up in
that environment with their package of genes, and go to register to vote.
This is where the culture comes in. Given that he is sympathetic to
conservative ideals, whatever they happen to be, means that he wishes to
align himself to those that also support them. Accordingly, he can choose
between Democrats or Republicans. He is most likely to choose Republican,
given all we know, as he belives they are the party of conservatism. Taken
on a large scale, we can expect this process to gradually magnify the
conservative elements of American politics, and shunting left-leaning
parties gradually out of the mainstream. We may already be seeing this
occuring, as college students today have become far more conservative than
those of the previous generation, exemplified in increasing opposition to
such things as abortion. We'll see if this exerts much influence in another
twenty years or so.

--Paul