[extropy-chat] lette

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sat Oct 9 20:52:25 UTC 2004

At 01:12 PM 10/9/2004 -0700, Spike wrote:

< Rules schmules.  Wordplay is about bending rules.  If I
were to be strict about the single-substitution rule,
I would be stuck with a with one of the four choices:
rules-sules, -cules, -hules, or -mules. >

Oh, bugger, I can't leave this alone, can I?

`Rules schmules' *isn't* bending a rule, for the luvadog, it's *using* a
well-known rule or template from Yiddish humor.

Would that retort have been even mildly witty if Spike had written `Rules
schools', or `Rules bananas', or `Rubes chew asphalt', or `84Z*pq'?

Damien Broderick