[extropy-chat] Greens do well in Oz elections

RobKPO trichrom at optusnet.com.au
Mon Oct 11 00:37:13 UTC 2004

Hard to say isn't it? Lots of issues to pick from but none seemed clear to
me that he lied... I guess that is one of the reasons the election went the
way it did.

Iraq: their is a layer of secuity regarding strategic decision's similair to
that which is often referred to as 'operational security' from government.
Public doesn't need to know the details of the WMD threat. My guess would be
Iraq had an active bio-weapon's program which are easier to hide and move,
even under the constant surveillance of the UN and US/UK forces. This would
be likely to counter the growing military capability of at least Iran. Given
Iraq's inability to play by UN rule's, intelligence information might have
taken new seriousness given the engagement of US forces in the region and
Iraq's capbility to deploy such weapons themselves or deploy them via
sympathetic groups. Public doesnt need to know these things before or during
operation's but should be told afterwards (once it doesnt interfere with
current or planned operations). The lasso around Iraq for the last 12 years
surely should have indicated to people that any WMD threat would be very
well hidden... if people want to believe Saddam's regime was sitting idle
during those years based on the fact that they (US/UK/UN) cannot find
anything now is a personal choice I wouldn't think is the wisest. It is a
fact that security/military decisions cannot have the same transperancy as
other political area's.

Children Overboard: does anything think that was anything more than
miscommunication just because concerns might have been raised with the PM?
Any number of people involved in the actual incident could have leaked the
story quietly at any time - but instead, by the nature of how we all found
out it didn't actually happen the way stated, the error was clearly in
someone protecting their career by adjusting the fact's before it reached
the PM - their is nothing to indicate it was a lie by the PM that I've read.

Tampa: nothing strange there.

I can't comment on broad policy issue's, but the job of PM would have to be
the defined as the 'most trusted' position in the country. That's who we
elect to run the country and they have to stand up to arguably the harshest
scrutiny throughout their professional career's to be in the job. I think a
pathological liar would be found out within the first 5 years in politics
even if tightly integrated in a support group. That's something the media
and opposition political parties seem to keep an eye on.

I let out a sigh of relief at the result, and then went back to my
foreboding about the state of the world and it's destructives motivators -
best of not very good choices in my opinion.

RobKPO