[extropy-chat] Science in K-12 Education

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 12 17:16:56 UTC 2004

--- Nicholas Anthony MacDonald <namacdon at ole.augie.edu> wrote:

> Mainly because scientific education in the K-12 years is abysmal.
> Science classes bore all but a few hard-core nerds to tears, quickly
> chasing them into service industry jobs, business, the arts, or
> technician-troll level CS work.  Same goes for history, I might add-
> many of my fellow students don't see much "practical" reason to gain
> a solid foundation in real historical knowledge, and instead either
> ignore it completely, or embrace a picture of history imbibed in
> their Sunday-school classes.

Have you wondered why kids learn the history in the bible so well, but
can't remember what state Lincoln was born in? It is primarily because
of the lack of singing in public school, where such activity is either
relegated to music class or seen as brainwashing. The educational
establishment needs to accept that song is how human knowledge has been
passed down verbally since early in our evolution.

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)