[extropy-chat] 22nd century

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Wed Oct 13 18:08:25 UTC 2004

At 10:36 AM 10/13/2004 -0700, Mike wrote:

>--- Damien Broderick <thespike at satx.rr.com> wrote:

> > the point Trend and I were making is that it's
> > extremely unlikely that this emotional attachment carries over to
> > a clump of a hundred or so cells on a petri dish.

Note again:
Trend and I are talking about a tiny clump of undifferentiated cells.

>The `miscarried
> > fetuses' Mike mentions were surely not salvaged somehow within a
> > week of conception and tearfully laid to rest with full ceremony?
>
>Or they could be people who have been trying to conceive naturally for
>a very long time and finally one takes but fails.

How would they *know*?

Watch the bouncing ball:

*a clump of a hundred or so cells on a petri dish*

...or in a uterus, for that matter, or on its way there:
http://www.religioustolerance.org/abo_emer2.htm

< Pregnancy typically begins about 12 days after conception, after the
blastocyst has fully implanted itself in the lining of the womb.
Abortions are defined as medical interventions after pregnancy begins.
Since the emergency contraception pills are taken within 3 days of
intercourse or an IUD is inserted within 5 days, no pregnancy has had a
chance to start. Thus, emergency contraception is not a form of abortion. >

Damien Broderick