[extropy-chat] John C. Wright finds god

Jef Allbright jef at jefallbright.net
Fri Oct 15 00:04:46 UTC 2004

Damien Broderick wrote:

> http://mostlyfiction.com/authorqa/wright.htm
>

> Greg West:
> When did this conversion take place?
>
> John C. Wright:
> I had a heart attack and was near death. It happened this November
> just past, late in 2003 AD.

---snip---

> Greg West:
> What was the nature of this supernatural revelation?
>
> John C. Wright:
> That is a strange and private matter. Let us pretend that I was
> visited by three ghosts, like Scrooge, and, like him, returned from
> the travail a better man.
>
> ==========================
>
> Take care--it could happen to *you*.

An overwhelming desire to find ultimate meaning can tip one over the
edge.  Once tipped, they will appear as rational as before, except for a
tendency toward selective observation of information which confirms the
new belief set.

I was dismayed earlier this year to find that Robert Wright (no relation
to John C Wright) also appears to be going down the path in search of
"Ultimate Meaning".  The selective observation effect, in his case, had
Wright believing that Daniel Dennett was also succumbing to the power of
the pods, but Dennett strongly denies Wright's interpretation.

http://www.nonzero.org/replytodennett.htm

Stay away from the pods.

- Jef