[extropy-chat] Re: POLL: Principles of Extropy

Hal Finney hal at finney.org
Sat Oct 16 20:37:07 UTC 2004

Samantha Atkins writes:
> Please explain how these principles can be practiced without also
> acting in and considering the nature of the political domain.   Can we
> make these things real in our lives without application to the
> political also?  I don't believe so.   Therefore I do not see that
> politics as such, including local politics (e.g., of one's country) is
> off-topic per se.

I don't think all political discussions are off topic; in fact as you
may have noticed I launched my own politics thread in part to illustrate
how I think we can discuss politics in a more Extropian manner.  I am
trying to discuss somewhat "meta" issues in terms of how we do politics,
and how politics as an institution works, and how we might think about
other institutions.  There's a long history of Extropian discussion on
these matters.

But as far as the pure discussion of whether Bush or Kerry is better,
and the even more contentious issues like whether the Iraq war was
justified, I don't know that we are very successful or productive in
those discussions.  Arguing Bush vs Kerry is, as far as I am concerned,
much like arguing Yankees vs Red Sox.  We have as much influence on the
outcome in each case.  It activates vestigial monkey instincts to have
these arguments and gives us some primal satisfaction to vent, but I
don't think it is a truly valuable and beneficial experience for anyone.
It just gets people mad, to no constructive end.

If you really care about politics, I recommend getting involved with
local political groups and campaigns.  Now is a perfect time to do so,
many people are just getting interested and I think most campaigns will
welcome volunteers.  That's a more productive way to spend your time
than shouting on a mailing list.  You'll meet interesting people and
make a difference.  And I suspect that you're far more likely to convert
a voter by going to his door, shaking his hand and handing out a piece
of literature than by even the most impassioned online argumentation,
which will inevitably be countered by an equally impassioned advocate
for the other side.

Hal