[extropy-chat] Dr. Strangelove - the "documentary" :-)

Spike spike66 at comcast.net
Sun Oct 17 04:16:51 UTC 2004

Oh they would find out soon enough.  The notion is that
there are plenty of places that wouldn't be anywhere
near any conceivable target.  There are advanced
technological civilizations that have never had
(to my knowledge) any beef with anyone, such as
New Zealand.  Do they even *have* a military?

Their point at Doctors for Disaster Preparedness is
that nuclear war might end civilization as we have
known it but would not end civilization.  What I found
interesting is that the audience, being mostly medical
professionals, realized that radiation doesn't necessarily
slay proles.  Most who survived the blast and the possible
anarchy that followed would likely survive long term.

Life would go on, and human life would recover eventually.
Technological libraries would survive here and there;
within a few decades we could once again have
sufficient technology to nuke ourselves.