[extropy-chat] stranger than fiction

Eliezer Yudkowsky sentience at pobox.com
Tue Oct 19 13:34:41 UTC 2004

Amara Graps wrote:
> Eliezer S. Yudkowsky :
>
>> Truth isn't stranger than fiction, but sometimes it comes pretty close.
>
> You might like this:
>
> http://www.amara.com/stranger/str_fiction.html

You've got at least one fake item, from the Weekly World News.  (Not only
that, it's marked "Weekly World News" in the byline.)  Triggering my
suspicions was this text:  "The slide struck him in the worst possible
place--the vulnerable spot just behind and below the left ear. Bone
fragments pierced his brain, killing him instantly."

I like News of the Weird's new feature where they have three true items and
one made-up item.  Like I always say, the measure of your strength as a
rationalist is your ability to be more confused by fiction than by reality.
  It's a good test of my ability to see if I can spot the most confusing
item.  I'm proud to say I spotted the Weekly World News item as fake before
I noticed the byline, and that I went back and searched and didn't find any
others.